sábado, 7 de mayo de 2011

Abel Interview (by María Manzano and Eva Mª Rufino)

-What part of Ireland are you from? I am not from Ireland but I lived there for three years, some months in Galway and the rest of the time in Dublin.

-What is the most important building in your country? Probably Trinity College, an old university placed right in the city center, in Dublin.

-Do you like it? Very, it is worth visiting.

-Do you know other interesting places? Some Irish Castles are nice. But the most genuine part of Ireland is its landscape: breath-taking cliffs, mystical seas of high grown grass, endless horizons, the land ant the sea embracing beyond time...

-At night, What do people usually do? They usually go the pubs, to have drink and socialize.

-Who are funnier, Irish people or Spanish people? I would say that both are funny in their own way. We have a different sense of humor, because humor is partly a cultural thing. But we connect well. Spanish people are noisier in the way they express their humor and their feelings.

-I have heard that in Ireland the weather is bad, is it true? It is quite true, unfortunately. In varies a little, depending on the different areas, but it's quite rainy all year round. In the summer, we have fantastic skies though, with very long days. But even in the summer it is very difficult to have a non rainy period longer than two weeks.

-What do you recommend me to wear there? It depends on the time of the year, but always have a raincoat handy in your bag.

-Do you keep in touch with people there? Only ocassionally through the internet.

-Do you miss something? I miss the peace and quiet of the Irish countryside, the purity and mistery of its landscapes.

-Do you miss someone? Yes, my landlady. She was a funny, witty and loving old lady. I think she is dead now, unfortunately.

-What are the most typical meals? Potatoes, boiled vegetables, pork steaks, and fish. And lovely cakes.

-Tell a normal day for you when you were there. I got up early in the morning, had a strong breakfast and went to College (UCD, University College Dublin). I was doing my doctoral thesis by that time, so I had to read a lot, but also gave some classes of Spanish Literature. I had lunch at 12.00, and socialized a little. I kept working for a while until 5 pm or so. I went back home (I lived in a university residence). Then we had dinner, and afterwards, I got involved in different activities: but basically I met people. At 10 or so we had supper, which is like our “merienda”. Then I spend some time with myself.

-Can you tell us some craze we should know of the Irish? They love pubs.

-In general, are Irish people very fond of their families? They are, but the family is not such a strong institution as it is in Spain. However, they are not as independent as north Americans.

-Tell us a story of early days in Ireland. BanShee, a dead woman spirit who wanders about in search for revenge. It is a legend, obviously.

-If we recommend a place to go, where would it be? Glendalough, a beautiful lake sorrounded by mountings, with an old vikind tower in the nearby area.

-Do you have more good or bad memories of your stay in Ireland? I suppose that good ones. Why? Because one tends to brush off bad memories with time. And I have the feeling that a grew a lot, personally speaking, during my stay in Ireland, precisely because things were not easy for me there.

-Can you tell us some memories of your stay which you remember as particularly good? My trips around the Island, reaching lost and almost pure or untouched pieces of land. And some fantastic people that I met there, who somehow changed my life, such a Spanish missionary, who taught me great things about life.

-Can you tell us some curious houses facilities in Ireland that are different from those of Spain? Houses in Ireland are more like the English style of building: very spacious, with gardens and not many flats around.

-A must that we should bring from our trip to Dublin. The cliffs of Moher. And a Guiness in a Pub.

-Can you say somethings essential that we should make in our stay in Dublin? Visit its fantastic parks: St Annes Park and Phoenix Parks at least.

-Do the Irish like to take special care of nature? Yes, but they take it for granted, because nature is their life.

-If you had to describe a typical Irish, what adjectives would you use? Friendly, funny, hospitable, generous, poetic, a bit melancholicn and difficult to know well.

-Are most of the Irish friendly strangers? Very friendly and hospitable.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario